23 April 2010

Broken Things

Broken things--whether it is an object, a relationship, an appointment, or bone need immediate attention for the best chance of restoration. I actually use my little finger (right hand) more than I would have thought. Only one example is that it has a significant role in typing on a keyboard which is something I do a lot. However, back in early March, when I tried to use it to break my fall on a slippery, sloped surface, it was not up to the task and indeed in the effort, itself was broken. Now I do not have medical confirmation about that-- but as a professional nurse registered in the state of Virginia with a history of emergency department practice AND the one directly experiencing the symptoms, I am certain it is broken. I did not seek a medical evaluation when it first occurred because I was in GUATEMALA with a group. I was BUSY with lots of logistics to keep running smoothly and what will they do for a finger anyway, except splint it? I could do that myself--but I didn't. After Guatemala, my life did not slow and has not yet. I am in Nepal now, with trips to two other countries in between Guatemala and Nepal, and I am working on plans to go to Bangladesh in another week or so. Anyway, it has been 6 weeks and the finger is still painful and swollen and crooked. It might never be the same again. If I had taken proper care of it, it would probably be straight and painfree by now. Broken lives of children are all around me. The children have been damaged, but have the chance to be whole if we deal with their needs now. If we don't, things will continue to be painful for them as they face the future. They may grow up crooked. They may not ever be what they could have been, if only for a little intervention now. I was too busy to do what my little finger needed. Other priorities flooded my day and demanded my time. I thought it would be all right. But now, it might be too late.